Burn Permits

How do I get a permit?

Contact the Shelburne Dispatch Center at 985-8051. Please be courteous as they are providing a very valuable service to the Town of Ferrisburgh. The determination of whether or not a permit is issued is up to the Fire Warden, not the Shelburne Dispatch Center -- they are only acting as a point of communication.

When I get a permit, what can I burn? 

You are allowed to burn any natural vegetation (trees, brush and grass) and also untreated wood product, which is wood with no paint or wood that is not pressure-treated. Household trash is not permitted for burning under the State of Vermont Clean Air Act (Sec. 1. 24 V.S.A. § 2201). 

Are there any other burn regulations or requirements?

All fires should be in an open area away from houses and other structures and should not be placed next to roadways as they can be a distraction to passing drivers. It is very important to never leave a burn pile unattended as it can spread very quickly and damage both yours and your neighbors' property. 

Anyone burning without a permit or burning a permitted fire that is deemed unsafe will be asked to put the fire out. If the fire is not put out, the Ferrisburgh Fire Department may be dispatched to extinguish the fire.

Any questions or concerns should be addressed to the Town of Ferrisburgh Fire Warden, Mike Coyle, at 877-3564